Thursday, October 30, 2008

Family Ties

Growing up, I always had to have friends over because I was an only child. I constantly wanted a playmate. I wanted a sibling and always having special people over was as close as I could come!

As I got older, I did see the benefits to being an only child, but i still wished I had brothers and sisters.

Then came marriage. And I got more family than I ever thought that I would have. I am fortunate to have a MIL and FIL that I love and I get along with. And I am very lucky that my small family loves Frank and treats him just like a child of their own. Sometimes, they treat him better than their own. But, who's keeping tabs... I am not bitter at all..

My family doesn't look like what I always envisioned that it would. How God chooses certain people to belong together I will never comprehend. Sometimes I think it is more for a JOKE but that's a whole other post!

Yes, there is my immediate family. Made up of myself and Frank and all of the circus workers. Do you ever wonder how the same 2 people can produce such very different kids? I do. I wonder every time I look at them. Not necessarily in the way that they look, but in the way they act and their likes and dislikes. AND the way that they express those likes and dislikes if you know what I mean.

Then, I have my extended family. Made of up MIL and FIL and all of Frank's sisters and their families. And the 10,000 relatives that my husband has. Because truly, I do believe that somehow he is related to every human on the face of the earth!

But, then there is this whole other family. You see, I believe that what makes us family is not really blood relation at all. It is a common thread. Shared memories. Shared experiences. Something that ties your hearts together. And this family is special. Special because we are family by choice. People like Stephanie and Julie and Elizabeth. Emily and Katy and Starla. These people are much more than just friends. They are my family.

And then there's you... This blogging community continues to amaze me. The encouragement and love that I feel from many of you makes me so grateful. I feel like I know some of you so well. I feel like I am part of your lives in some small way. And I equally feel you as part of mine. There are many ways in which I am connected to some of you. But the one common thread that I see among most of us is JESUS. He is that something, that someone that ties our hearts together.

Mary over at Owlhaven said it best about family once when she said "After all, doesn't a family start with 2 people who aren't even related?"

So true, Mary, so true.

Family. I'm glad for mine. For all of mine.

These are the ties that bind... Ecclesiastes 4:12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not easily broken.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have met more only children in the blogging communtity, I to am one. I was also like you begging for a sibling and now that I am older I sometimes wish I had one to be able to talk to to discuss things about my parents. But I am, no we are all so blessed to have so many wonderful friends, moms, and Godly Christian women in our lives. Thank you for such a beautiful post.

Shell in your Pocket said...

How wonderfully put! Guess what? I am an only child! I had a great childhood and friends are so important to me! I love the quote on how a family starts...so true!
-sandy toes

Davisix said...

Only child here! :) And that was so daggum sweet. Much more meaningful that my posts. You're a great writer! Loves ya!! Ang

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Beautifully said... I love that blogging has brought so many of us together. And together we walk, because that's how he wanted it...

Nothing happens in God's world by accident.

Ohilda said...

You have such a beautiful heart.

I love the Jesus in you!!!

By the way, I got my husband The Faith of George Bush, shortly after it came out. He loved it. Knowing now that your hubby's cousin wrote it...I think I'm gonna read it. :)

Hugs,

Ohilda

Yellow Beads said...

what a nice post! :)

Anonymous said...

i stumbled into your blog from a comment you made about Fireproof on another blog. i grew up at Sherwood. So if you see Russell and Shirley Cates or the Wilburns...tell them Dayna (Goodroe) Nichols says hello...your live traffic feed makes me homesick seeing Leesburg and Albany...love your posts. distant 'family' connection...
dayna

Tammy said...

what a great post! I'm an only kid too. I always wanted a big brother. I, too am fortunate to have great inlaws and extended family :)

juliefharris said...

I am moved and touched by this post. However, you know me and I have to comment on one thing. . . . .sometimes here in South Georgia families do start with two people who ARE related (First cousins, etc.).